Apr 9, 2012

Tangible Love, My Coffee Ceremony Story...

This precious, almost sacred day happened long ago- January 28th to be exact.  I haven't been able to share it before now for a several reasons.  I wanted to share it right after it happened- but my heart was so full I had a hard time putting into words how unbelievably special it was to me.  We were in the middle of a long, hard wait and this was life to my very soul.  Then, two weeks after this day and before I was finished with the post we received the news that our adoption from Ethiopia was stalled- most likely not going to happen, and this happy, joyful recount didn't quite seem appropriate anymore.  Now, two months after our difficult news I want to share this because it impacted me so profoundly, and even served to comfort me when we found out the sad news about our Ethiopia adoption. 

God used this to prepare me in a way.  He used it to show me that He was thinking of me- that He loved me.  There have been many times over the past 8 years that I've felt forgotten, abandoned, or even like an outcast in my struggle with infertility.  With each disappointment, set back, and failure, these emotions rear their ugly heads.  But THIS time, there was a tangible reminder that He DOES see me and care for me, and it made such a difference. 

(the below was written before we found out that our Ethiopia adoption was probably not going to happen- so this was my perspective right after that wonderful day...)
__________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, January 28th I received an unexpected blessing.  A blessing that caused me to feel God's love in a more tangible way than I have in a long time.

Allow me first to share the back story...

Friday, January 27th marked 15 months since Trace and I were placed on the waiting list to be matched with a child.  15 months is double what we originally anticipated when we started in the Ethiopia program, so   needless to say, this is not a happy anniversary.  We had received some hopeful news in the beginning of December that "things" were starting to fall into place, but the lack of discernible movement two months later was taking its toll, and we were becoming weary again.

Knowing this, and having just adopted a little boy after a very long wait, my sweet friend Charlsie planned a time for us to get together so she could bless and encourage me.  That's all I knew.  We scheduled our "date" almost a month out, and there was talk of breakfast.  She asked me to pick her up due to company in town- no big deal, I was just happy we could spend time together!  About a week out I almost had to cancel due to an office relocation for my job, but I was determined to do everything possible to make this time work because our time together was rare and precious.  I had a stressful, very busy week as I orchestrated our office relocation, AND our puppy came to us a week earlier than we anticipated- right in the middle of it! 

Saturday finally came, and as I was getting ready I realized I had no idea what we were doing!  Usually I really like to plan (ask Trace, I am always asking him to make plans well ahead of time!) but my week was so busy that I hadn't asked.  As I left to pick up Charlsie I told Trace that I had no idea what we were doing or how long I'd be gone- see ya later!

When I arrived at Charlsie's home she greeted me with a hug and asked me to come in because she had a "little surprise" for me!  Even more than plans I LOVE surprises, so no matter what it was I knew it would be great!  She lead me to her backyard and opened the door to this...


Charlsie with the help of her dear friend Marla, transformed her backyard into the setting for an authentic Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony!!!  She planned and executed the details beautifully and invited several of my special friends to come to encourage and bless me! The first person I saw was my dear friend Ashley all the way from Tulsa, OK and I just about fell over!!!  Then I saw Alisa, Peg and Patty as well and the whole thing was so surreal- I felt like I was floating!  Here are a few pictures of my amazing surprise.

But even before I understood what was happening, I saw these beautiful woman standing there...

I simply LOVE the expressions on all their faces!
To say that I was surprised was an UNDERstatement!  Many of these woman didn't even know each other prior to driving up Charlsie's house that morning.  There are all precious women to me and from different areas of my life- I couldn't believe they were all together...for me!


 Ashley drove all the way (that morning!) from Tulsa OK to be there!!!  When I saw her I think I kept saying "how are you here?!?"  Pure amazement!

I hugged each woman and was filled with raw emotion- joy, love, surprise and wonder!  It really felt that a dream that was too good to be true.  I included the below picture so you can see a tiny bit of how I looked in this moment.

Hugging my friend Peg- not pretty, just keepin it real!
After the shock wore off a tiny bit, I think I was thanking everyone for coming, and tried to verbalize what this meant to me...

Next to me is sweet, amazing Charlise (left) and Ashley (right).
We settled in to our seats on blankets so we could start the "ceremony". Charlsie and Marla shared what the ceremony was, how it was done and began serving the coffee.  I mentioned this was authentic, because the coffee we had actually did come from Ethiopia!  Marla and her husband just brought their daughter home from Ethiopia last Oct, so she actually prepared the coffee beans for us and mixed them with the traditional spices she got while there!  I'm telling you it was A M A Z I N G!  Delicious and fun =)

Next, Charlsie initiated a time of prayer over me.  It was such a beautiful and powerful time, as I felt the Lord encouraging me and strengthening my heart.  It was literally like life was being poured into me and joy was being renewed.  In that moment I felt the Lord showing me that He has not forgotten me.  He put this on the hearts of my friends, and He was showing His love to me through them.  Wow!


__________________________________________________________________________________
This is where my joyful recounting stopped- the above is all I wrote before everything changed in our adoption journey, but I was not quite finished.  After prayer and more beautiful fellowship, I also received presents!  The day was already above and beyond, so the gifts sent it over the top!  I was overjoyed, my heart was full, and the Lord truly made His love known as a result of this time.  It really was priceless, and I am still in awe of my dear friends that made this day so special for me.

Looking back I realize that day I still believed that our first child would come from Ethiopia, and this ceremony was the start of tradition to come.  Now, I look back on it and think of it almost as a beautiful "farewell" to that dream.  While we still may be able to adopt from Ethiopia some day (and we REALLY hope that we do) it no longer appears it will happen any time soon.  Even two months later this is not an easy reality for us, however moments like this help us to see that God is ever present in our lives and DOES care to remind us of that. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

Today is 8-17-12 and I've decided to amend this post since our first child IS coming from Ethiopia after all!!!  Looking back I see this day not as a farewell, but a PROMISE.  It was a holy moment for me, and remains a very treasured day.  Even then I knew it was a gift straight from the heart of God, but now I see how beyond perfect it truly was in communicating that the desire in my heart for my Ethiopia son was of Him.  I am amazed at how personal and real my God shows Himself...

5 comments:

  1. Love you! Praying for peace and a super smooth journey from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randee, thank you so much for sharing. LOVE YOU! Your beautiful heart, your clear communication, your vulnerability, the hope you allow Him to renew yet again.

    Yes, a beautiful flower you are.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss and love you so much... My sister, my friend.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randee and Trace - I've finally found your blog and feel more informed about Simmie than ever before. I hope that you will keep all of your messages and background posts in a book for him when he grows up. The very first picture of Trace holding him (just the bottom of Trace's face) was a shock. Trace, you are the spitting image of your father. He was always so comfortable with small children and loved all of you dearly. He was hard to visit with because he was holding a child, talking to the child, or making the child "do tricks." :-) We had to be very patient and take our time to visit with he and your mom. Babies first!! Remember, Trace, it's not a good idea to tie an animal to a walker. And you survived!! My love to the two of you. I can't wait to hold him myself.

    Aunt Harriet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Harriet,
      Your message meant so much to us! I LOVE hearing about Trace's father as it is such a great saddness that I never got to meet him. We are filled with so much joy that Simmie will be home soon, and look forward to the day we can introduce you in person to your new great-nephew!

      Randee

      Delete