But right after that, my rare OCD-ness surfaces and I end up critiquing said nativity, and determining whether or not I have a hang up with the one sitting before me.
Allow me to back up a little bit. Those that know me well would probably say that I am pretty laid back about most things. OCD is not typically a phrase that would be used to describe my tendancies in...most...areas. Oh there are a few that I can think of off the top of my head, such as baking (I will NOT serve anything that doesn't pass the "almost perfect" standard I have in mind); gift giving (I don't give perfect gifts but I have been known to return a few before deciding on the "right" one); and apparently inaccurate (in my opinion) nativity scenes.
When we got married we were gifted with this heirloom nativity set from my Aunt Gini, and I have loved it from the moment I laid eyes on it. It's simple. It's beautiful. And, it seems to be pretty accurate (although the angels are a bit of a stretch.)
| Our nativity since 2002 |
According to how I read the Bible there is no way the wise men were present at the manager when Jesus was born! {You can read the accounts of Jesus birth in Luke 2 and Matthew 2.} Because of this, I can't help but think that it's just not right to have wise men included in most nativities!
Thus, my hang up.
Until a couple of weeks ago when I saw THIS...
| Our nativity added 2011 |
Wise men and all.
When I was growing up, my mom would always put the wise men on the other side of the room from the nativity, just to show that they were on their way!
ReplyDeleteHow precious is this brown skin version! LOVE IT!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this Randee!! :) What a great reminder everywhere of the real meaning of CHRISTmas! Bless you this season... you are such a blessing to me!
ReplyDeleteSO AGREE with you here. While I LOVE my parent's nativity scene...which is very similar to the one you have from your aunt(?) it annoys me terribly that its so misconstrued. Another irritation for me is that when the Wise men actually meet Jesus he's more like 2 AND Biblical experts say that Jesus was most likely born in the Spring, like March due to the placement of the stars and a few other clues that the Bible gives...what they are I can''t remember. And its also true that the Roman Catholic Church moved MANY 'Christian' holiday's around to fit holidays that coincided with pagan holidays so that they could get people into church...abit of a strange way to do it, but obviously it worked since here we are! LOL I like your friend Tiffany's mom's idea! I think I'll be doing that this coming season!!! LOL
ReplyDelete