As of today we have been on the waiting list for exactly 3 months to be matched with a child! This is how long it has been since our dossier (a.k.a all our official paperwork) was sent over to Ethiopia. We are pretty amazed that the first 3 months have seemingly gone by so quickly, and hope (and PRAY) that the remaining time on the waiting list passes with such ease.
While we wait I have decided to come up with a list of projects to keep me busy. So far, I've not begun any of said projects. I wonder if I'll have the motivation to do what I am planning before we travel for our first trip (which will be approximately 3 months after we are matched with a child.) My thoughts are along the lines of, "This may be the last time I will have the chance to (insert most any home project you can think of) for a very long time after we bring our little guy home" so I'm leaning toward working hard to get them done. Based on observing other family and friends with children I'm guessing that I have a higher probability now to accomplish certain things than I will when we are trying to learn the whole parenting thing along with helping our son adjust to a new home, country, language etc.
All that said- I have decided to go out on a limb and post my project plans! If nothing else it will be fun to look back at this post someday and see what I finished and what was deemed "not necessary" at a later date :)
- Paint the dresser we are putting in the nursery
- Paint a sewing table so it can be used as an end table
- Paint Trace's dresser so our bedroom furniture doesn't look quite so mismatched
- Paint the second coat on the hallway (I'm noticing there is a quite a theme going here...)
- Paint the guest bathroom a color other than ivory
- Plan/ decorate the nursery (this WILL get done- so at least there is one thing on my project list that should get checked off!)
OK- I'm stopping there for now because it looks like there is never-ending painting in my future!
For any of my crafty friends out there PLEASE feel free to let me know the best way to paint/ refinish wood dressers (or similar items.) I have two large real wood dressers that I need to paint black, and am researching the best method and paints to use. Leave a comment, FB post, email- whatever, as I'd greatly appreciate it and need the guidance!!!

When I painted our end tables, I did light sanding....Some people will tell you to resand the whole thing (and if you are staining, then you HAVE to) but I like shortcuts. So since my new color was darker than the old colors, I just sanded it as flat as I could and used a primer/paint combo....This is a MUST-HAVE on painting everything. I will never go back to paint without primer in it. It gives a rich, even color and completely covers the "old stuff". I also used a clear gloss polyeurethane coat over the color (make sure it is COMPLETELY dry...not even a little bit tacky) to add the gloss and waterproof it from the eventual midnight glass of water by my bedside =)
ReplyDeleteFor walls, I really love the paint edgers. You can get them at Lowe's and it eliminates the need for taping everything (though I do anyways, just cause I am a messy painter)...
whew..that's a lot..you can just email me for anything else!!
Good luck!! your list is as long as mine!! =))
I am so excited!! Make sure to post the progress pictures if you can so we can all learn form you :0)
ReplyDeleteRia- I will take some before and after shots and post them! I may experiment with different methods of sanding on a couple of the dresser drawers so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
ReplyDeleteAshley- thanks for the ideas! I may be calling you later for additional thoughts :) I am quite the novice at home improvement projects and don't want to mess these up...
wow randee this is all so exciting! good to catch up on whats going on :)
ReplyDelete